Do you have a question about relationships and flirting?

You can email me about any of your relationship and flirtation questions, and I'll be happy to address them in my blog. Won't that be fun! Its very Dear Abby, but hey...I'm just as good as she is! Just put "Dear Ottis" in the subject. Make sure your letters are annoymous though, to protect you and me. Send all questions to DearOttis@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day

"Love is in the air everywhere I look around. Love is in the air, every sight and every sound. And I don't know if I'm being foolish, don't know if I'm being wise, but it's something that I must believe in and its there when I look in your eyes."
~John Paul Young

Valentine's Day is one of those special holidays that comes around every February 14th. As spring slowly begins to blossom and the birds and bees begin to flutter about--couples end up needing a day when they can show each other they care. You see, they don't need to show it on a daily basis or anything. Rather they need a special holiday to do the job for them. Interestingly enough, this tells us something indisputably clear: Valentine's day was created by a man. A man that didn't want to have to be all mushy with his wife regularly. He'd rather just have one day when he can go all out. Now, don't get me wrong, the logic is ridiculously followable. It utterly genius even. Especially because back in the day, it was normal for an 18-year-old boy to marry a 14-year-old girl, thus minimizing the effects on the already microscopic single adult population. Unfortunately, in today's society, that is no longer the case.

Here at BYU when in the realm of singledom, Valentine's Day is often referred to as "Singles Awareness Day" a day when each and every single is bombarded by visions of BYU lovers, sharing their...-ness with one other. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a big hater of PDA. I think that it has its uses and benefits. But, it gets to be a little overwhelming on Valentine's Day. Indeed, one can scarcely even go outside without being reminded of one's status as a single at BYU.

I was at Smiths on Saturday night with my friend Andy. He forgot his wallet and ran out to his car to grab it, meanwhile I stood inside waiting, observing, contemplating. Near the entrance of the store there was a huge Valentine's section/stand, where people could buy flowers, cards, chocolates, and other such nonsense. Each man was awkwardly looking for the perfect arrangement of flowers, the perfect box of chocolates, that perfect card to share his sentiments. A little beyond this stand stood the embittered single lads glaring caustically at the men at the stand. Their disdain was palpable. I was in observational heaven. The single men were increasingly aware of the ones at the stand, while the ones at the stands were completely oblivious to the vibes of hatred being sent their way.

I'm not afraid to admit that Valentine's Day is not one of my favorite holidays. I think its damaging to the psyche of so many. Mine as well, and I even had a valentine that I spent the evening with! Let us each become more aware of the damage being done, and acquiesced to being more gracious in our dealings to the singles in our lives on Valentine's day. And while we're doing that. . . lets show our love more often than just V-day. . . huh. I mean. . . come on people! I will continue to struggle to overcoming the damage caused by this horrendous day but--such is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment