Do you have a question about relationships and flirting?

You can email me about any of your relationship and flirtation questions, and I'll be happy to address them in my blog. Won't that be fun! Its very Dear Abby, but hey...I'm just as good as she is! Just put "Dear Ottis" in the subject. Make sure your letters are annoymous though, to protect you and me. Send all questions to DearOttis@gmail.com

Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Letter from a Student

This week after one of our rehearsals, during the flurry of people exiting and entering the room, I found a letter on the piano that had been left by one of my students upon exiting. At first my heart dropped when I saw it. Had I offended someone, and now was about to learn what I had done? Was I about to receive a chastisement? I don't know why I always jump to those conclusions...haha. Anyway, I decided to share the letter here. Read away :)
Dear Lee,
A few weeks ago I stumbled across your blog (I tried to look up the book you said you wrote because I was very curious...) and I had the pleasure of reading it. It was very insightful for me to read about your thoughts, trails, and experiences and how you've dealt with the things God has thrown your way. I admire how you've been able to take your difficulties and channel them into a beautiful music program that I have been blessed to be a part of in University Chorale. Learning ore about you has given so much more meaning for me personally--I too have found great comfort in the light the Lord has shared with me--but knowing a little better how much they mean to you and why gives me a different perspective. You have thought e so much about how to sing beautiful music. This is my first choir experience outside of church choirs. I have been trying very hard to sing beautifully and with the spirit for you, and for those people who particularly need to hear the message of God's love--which to me, is at the center of everything we are singing (that's probably because His love is at the center of everything). Thank you for sharing these songs--these prayers and praises--with me. Thank you for helping me develop my musical talent. I am sorry for all the times I mess up... I keep trying my best and although I am improving, I know I still have a long way to go. Thanks again for all you've done. I really appreciate it. And although I guess this may be strange to just say, I know the Lord loves you. I can feel it deep within my heart. He never forgets you, not even for a moment. He is grateful for your righteous efforts. He is grateful that you've helped me, as am I.

Sincerely,
An Alto 2
-PS Your hair always looks good. :)

I would like to respond to this alto 2:

Dear Alto 2,
Thank you so much for leaving this letter on the piano after class.  I am so very glad that you found my blog--and that you took the time to read some of the articles therein.  I hope you enjoyed it.  I love writing things down on my blog.  Its not always dramatic...sometimes it just funny, or dorky, or what ever...haha.

I am so thankful that you have found solace in some of the music that we are singing. I certainly have. I know that when I leave our rehearsals I feel uplifted, supported, and sustained. That is one of the reasons I love rehearsals as much as I do. I am also so very pleased that you've grown more musically, and that you've enjoyed this experience of singing in a choir outside of a church choir. I hope that we've helped you develop skills that you can use for the rest of your life as a singing in church choirs.

Music has always been my outlet. I've been through many...interesting experiences in my life. Music has always been there to bolster me up when I was low, to give me comfort in times of pain and anguish, and has been my source of connection to so many wonderful and amazing people. This program comes from my soul. It expresses so many of my feelings. I hope that this concert will help to touch the lives of those in the congregation, and of course all those in the choir as well.
I want you to know that this letter came at such a wonderful time for me. It came during a week when I felt I wasn't getting anything right.  I was feeling discouraged and vulnerable.  It was a week where I just didn't feel like I would ever be enough. Your letter reminded me why I do the work that I do. It reminded me why I am so excited for our concert. Thank you. Thank you alto 2. Thank you for your efforts, your caring, your sensitivity, and all your hard work.

I hope that you have an absolutely wonderful concert tomorrow!

Sincerely,
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment