Do you have a question about relationships and flirting?

You can email me about any of your relationship and flirtation questions, and I'll be happy to address them in my blog. Won't that be fun! Its very Dear Abby, but hey...I'm just as good as she is! Just put "Dear Ottis" in the subject. Make sure your letters are annoymous though, to protect you and me. Send all questions to DearOttis@gmail.com

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer of Firsts: Massage

"Massage is the manipulating of superficial and deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue using various techniques, to enhance function, aid in the healing process, and promote relaxation and well-being.

"Massage involves working and acting on the body with pressure--structured, unstructured, stationary, or moving--tension, motion, or vibration, done manually or with mechanical aids.  Target tissues may include muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, skin, joints, or other connective tissue, as well as lymphatic vessels, or organs of the gastrointestinal system.  massage can be applied with the hands, fingers, elbows, knees, forearms, and the feet.  They are over eighty different recognized massage modalities. The most cited reasons for introducing massage as therapy have been client demand and perceived clinical effectiveness.

"In professional settings massage involves the client being treated while lying on a massage table, sitting in a massage chair, or lying on a mat on the floor.  The massage subject may be fully clothed or unclothed. In the case of the latter, the parts of the body that are not being massaged are usually covered with towels or sheets, but this can depend on the preference of the therapists and the type of work being performed."


So, obviously my first in this post is that I got a massage.  This was my first ever professional massage, and it was right on my birthday.  I have to admit that I was very nervous about it.  Not only did the idea of laying naked on a table, under just a sheet, make me a bit uncomfortable, the idea of them actually working on my body did it for me.  I didn't think I could go through with it.  The closest thing I've ever had to a massage is my father coming up behind me unawares, and grabbing my shoulders and squeezing until I'm in utter agony, thus leaving me sore for days.

I showed up at my appointed time.  Now, my massage therapist is also my osteopathic practitioner, so she started by working on my knee that has been giving me troubles, then worked on my neck.   Then she told me to strip down, and get naked! Ok, she was a bit more formal about it.  I entered the bathroom traumatized.  My knee was aching as I was undressing for a strange married woman, who likes to inflict pain on my body.  I should mention I'm not too into the pain and bondage scene at this point in my life.  I wondered why I was trusting my well-being to this woman.  After undressing myself, I wrap myself in a sheet, and look in the mirror and say "Ok Spindler... you can do this.  Its only an hour of torturous pain.  POW's do this all the time!  If they can do it, so can I.  After all, I made it through a whole degree in French at BYU.  If that's not pain... I don't know what is."  I exit the small bathroom, go back to the table, and lie down on my stomach.

"I'm ready" I say trying to hide the trepidation in my voice. She enters the room.  Its silent.  I lay nervously on the table.  She approaches me and says, "Don't be nervous Lee. I'm not gonna hurt you."  She slowly slides down the sheet, revealing my back, tucks it in, and puts lotion on her hands.  My arms start to shake slightly as the dreaded moment arrives. "Let me know if I'm giving too much pressure."  My back is already tight from nervousness, my arms already sore from the tension, my shoulders aching from the coming pain.  

Her hands make contact.  Ecstasy.  The rest is a blur, but I can tell you it was the best 30 minutes of my year!  I've already had 2 other massages, and set up another appointment!  I'm gonna be a massage junkie...but Such is Life!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you waited so long to get a massage! I remember being a little anxious for my first one, but they are SO worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. Glad you enjoyed it! :-)

    ReplyDelete